Saturday, February 16, 2008

Candygate

Valentine candy has been the bane of my existance this weekend. It has been swiped, snatched, snooped, and scooped up somewhat underhandedly. All the kids were guilty of it, but Lily seems to be the one with the almost-pathelogical addiction to it.

The worst thing you can do in our house is to be dishonest - our standing rule is that if you mess up then fess up, you will be in far less trouble. Poor Lily, with her eyes blinded by candy-love, had a great deal of trouble with this. I got a call at work last night from Danny (which never happens unless someone has lost a limb or something) looking for clarification, as I was implicated as some sort of accomplice in what has become known in our house now as Candygate.

I keep thinking of the time I took a dollar from my Dad's dresser (without asking) to get ice cream from the Hoodsie Truck - I was just about Lily's age. I don't remember him yelling, just sitting me down to talk about it, and him being really disappointed. Uggh. That was rough, but it worked for me - I always remembered that. We did the same with all the kids, then just with Lily. She finally fessed up, but it was so hard for her - her worst nightmare is disappointing us and getting in trouble. I'm proud of her that she chose to finally be honest, we'll see how she does with the temporary ban on candy in the house - it is really her first love. As I write this, she is currently making paper Easter Eggs - her favorite holiday, presumably because of all the Easter candy. Oh well. So much for Valentines.


Other adventures with candy - our 2nd attempt at a christmas gingerbread house


No comments: